Jonathan H. Strauss
Results-oriented manager with diverse experience across strategy, partnerships, operations, and product management. Seeking a leadership position bringing ground-breaking Internet technologies to market. Particularly interested in products and platforms involving marketplace economics.
Sr. Product Manager — Yahoo! WidgetsYahoo!, Inc.; Sunnyvale, CA — 2006-2008
Led cross-functional team responsible for the strategy, product development, and marketing of Yahoo! Widgets, a globally-deployed multi-faceted product with millions of users and a robust ecosystem of thousands of independent developers
- Grew global user base substantially by deploying two major desktop platform releases (Yahoo! Widgets 4 and 4.5) and three localized versions (Taiwan, China, and Japan)
- Increased user engagement and created new revenue streams by launching all-new http://widgets.yahoo.com, including totally redesigned Widget Gallery back-end and user interface
- More than doubled the number of 3rd-party Widgets in the Gallery by establishing a successful developer relations program, which generated the model for other such programs at Yahoo!
- Worked with corporate PR and agencies on messaging strategy, and evangelized Yahoo! Widgets online, at conferences and trade shows, and in press interviews and partner meetings
- Became a leading authority on 3rd-party developer ecosystems, advising other groups at Yahoo! and spearheading the launch of Yahoo! Mobile Widgets at CES 2008
- Managed 2 direct reports, led a team of 12, and oversaw remote product development efforts in both Atlanta and Bangalore
Manager, Business Operations — Connected LifeYahoo!, Inc.; Sunnyvale, CA — 2005-2006
Served as chief of staff to Marco Boerries, EVP of Connected Life (“CL”). Participated in all aspects of the formation and operation of the 500-person global business unit responsible for mobile, desktop, broadband, and digital home.
- Deeply involved in development of business and product strategies, organizational structure, and major operating decisions for all four product groups within CL
- Coordinated operations for CL senior staff and acted as a primary interface with EVP of CL
- Primary CL liaison with other Yahoo! business units and corporate management
- Led most cross-business unit projects and participated in all internal corporate reviews of CL products and businesses, including the annual board of directors presentation
- Led CL due diligence teams for several potential M&A transactions
- Participated in senior-level relationships with partners, including: Intel, Hewlett-Packard, Nokia, Motorola, AT&T, Hutchison/3, and Helio
- Cross-functional lead (appointed by COO) for “Howard Nation on Yahoo!,” the most comprehensive Yahoo!-wide integrated promotion and most successful live entertainment webcast at the time (4.4M live streams)
Sr. Financial Analyst — Corporate DevelopmentYahoo!, Inc.; Sunnyvale, CA — 2004-2005
Initial member of newly-formed Corporate Strategy team, working very closely with senior management, business unit and product team leaders, and M&A teams to formulate proactive strategies and competitive responses.
- Lead corporate competitive analysis efforts, including weekly newsletter to senior management
- Prepared and participated in presentations for senior management offsites and board of directors offsite
- Participated in redesigns of corporate operational dashboard and quarterly business review processes
- Participated in numerous special projects, including leading early stages of Emerging Markets opportunity analysis and strategy formation
3rd Assistant Director“The Jacket”; Glasgow, UK & Montreal, Canada — 2003-2004
Responsible for managing all on-location matters pertaining to lead actors of a $25M Warner Independent Pictures film.
Campaign ConsultantEMILY’s List; Washington, DC — 2003
Completed comprehensive CampaignCorps campaign training program, and was then assigned to a NJ Legislature race. Acted as Finance Director and speechwriter: raised and managed a $100,000 budget; prepared public remarks and press releases; and created and maintained campaign website.
University of PennsylvaniaPhiladelphia, PA Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics — May 2002
- Two pending patent applications: “In-Page Installer” and “Managing Widgets through a Widget Dock User Interface”
- Completed Yahoo!’s media training program administered by Hill & Knowlton, in preparation for interviews with Forbes and the NY Times
- Avid traveller; near fluent in French; enjoy skiing, sailing, mountain biking, cooking, and photography